Saturday, October 10, 2009

Easy and Delicious

I thought I’d try to cook the same oyakodon meal that we cooked a couple of days ago during our typhoon day. I didn’t have any instructions or list of ingredients, so I had to cook by memory. It was a good thing that it turned out pretty good because I cooked too much and it would have been quite a chore to choke down something that tasted awful.

Oyakodon is actually pretty easy to make. Basically, you boil some dashi, add some mirin and soysauce for flavour. Next you add some onion and chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked. Then add a couple of slightly beaten eggs and cover for one minute. When it’s done, make sure to have some steamed rice ready to put it over top of.

The other day, we made a full meal, which involves boiling the dashi twice. The first batch goes into a pot for making soup. I just added spinach and tofu for this – I wasn’t sure if there were any other ingredients that go with it, but it tasted pretty good. For the salad, keep a couple table spoons of the dashi and mix with some of that green seaweed stuff that goes in miso soup (sorry, can’t recall its name at the moment). Japanese cucumber and those tiny white fish also get mixed in. Finally, garnish with some fresh ginger. The dashi gets boiled again and you cook the oyakodon as mentioned above.


No comments:

Post a Comment