Friday, July 10, 2009

Customized blogs: The Label Cloud

Some of you may have noticed that I've added a new feature to this blog. No longer do my labels appear in a static list of blue underlined words/phrases. Instead, they appear in a 'cloud' of phrases where the most written about standout much larger than those that are not so significant. The effect essentially allows readers to quickly see the main topics that are written about in this blog, while at the same time, be able to see less prominent, yet still important, blog topics.

As i've mentioned before in my blog posts, this is one of the advantages to using Blogger instead of Wordpress.com (see my previous post). In Blogger, i am able to customize the HTML for my blog, whereas in with Wordpress.com, i can't. Now i don't want to pretend that i know much about HTML code, because i don't, but what i can do, is follow simple instructions involving cutting and pasting text. And really, this is all that is required of me to make changes in appearance to my blog.

As for how to put a Label Cloud into your blog, there are a few sites that i've found with a simple google search, but most seem to stem back to this one here. Again, this was quite an easy process as the steps and the code are outlined very clearly and it only took me about 5 minutes to set up.

Another modification i made to my blog was to widen the margins a bit. Also quite easy when using directions that can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment