Monday, July 13, 2009

How can i create more space between my text and my photos?

How can I create more space between my text and my photos? This was the question that I was asking myself last night. Sometimes I would post a photo and the text would be pushed up so close to my images that it almost seemed to overlap. I couldn’t seem to find much info on this online, so I thought I’d look at the HTML of my page and see if I could figure out how to create more space. Much to my surprise, I actually figured it out – by myself. It might be a bit of a quick fix way of doing things because I had to sacrifice my image borders to do it, but I’m happy with the outcome. I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty proud of myself, having never worked with HTML at all before this blog.

Before:


After:


So how did I accomplish this? It was pretty simple.

1.) Go into the “edit HTML” page under "layout," which can be found in the customization page. Then do a search ("command+F" or "CTRL+F") for the following text:

.post img {
padding: 4px;
border: 1px solid $borderColor;

2.) Change “1px solid $borderColor;” to something like “10px solid $borderColor;” – the number of pixels will vary depending on how much of a cushion you want. Make sure to save your changes.

3.) Now your images will probably have quite a large border around it, so the next step is to go to “fonts and colors” under your “layout” menu. Find “Border color” and change the color to match the color of your “main background.” Again, make sure to save your changes.

4.) Go to “view my blog” and enjoy the spaciousness of your new posts.

Again, this is probably the quick and dirty way to accomplish this. If there are better ways of doing this, I’d love to hear about them. Let me know if you have any questions.


1 comment:

  1. An easier way to go about that is to edit HTML and add hspace= and vspace= in the img tag (this stands for horizontal space and vertical space). As long as you also have border= then you should be able to keep your borders. An example tag would look like [img hspace=10 vspace=10 border=2 align=right src="picture.jpg"] Just replace [] with <>.

    ReplyDelete