Sunday, February 14, 2010

Perspectives on the Canadian condition

Living in a foreign country has drawn a lot of attention to me as a Canadian not only amongst Japanese people, but amongst other foreigners as well. I not only learn about Japan, but a whole host of other countries as well. While living amongst so many Canadians at home, it seemed very natural to be a Canadian, but here in Japan, the finer details sometimes come to show.

Below is a collection of anecdotes from conversations that I’ve had while living in Japan. I’ve written them as I’ve remembered them, so they may not be entirely accurate. Also, I’ve included in brackets the country in which the speaker came from. (feel free to add more)


Me: Can you pass me my touque?
Aussie: You’re what?
Me: My touque.
Aussie: What’s a touque?
Me: It’s that hat on the chair.
Aussie: Oh, you mean your beanie?
Me: No, a beanie has a propeller on top.
(Australia)


“I’ve never actually met a real Canadian before. I mean, I’ve met people from Canada, but they all live in America now.” (America) – This isn’t meant as a commentary on Americans, but more as being identified/labeled as a Canadian – this has never really happened to me before. What is a Canadian anyway?


(Upon seeing a map of Canada in my apartment): “Hey look, there she is! I’ve never really looked at a map of Canada before. Sas-kya-che-won?” (America) Again, this isn’t a dig at America. The more time I spend with Americans and have my suspicions of their ignorance to all things Canadian be confirmed, the more I realize just how little I know about the United States.


“You have the most neutral sounding accent I’ve ever heard.” (Scotland)


“Did you ever used to watch YTV.” (Canada)


“Do you like maple syrup?” (Japan)
Teacher: “What kinds of food to you eat in Canada?”
Me: Uh… sushi?
(Japan)


Me: …eh?
Them: He said it again!
Me: (Damn)
(Everywhere)

No comments:

Post a Comment